It’s not always easy to be active. We’ve all been there – letting the dumbbells collect dust in the garage, throwing the yoga mat in the storage closet, constantly walking by the running shoes without a second glance. However, once you get in the habit of being a habit, it becomes much easier. With these 4 simple tips, you can achieve an active lifestyle even with your busy schedule!
1. Trick yourself into exercising.
It can be hard to find the time to exercise throughout the day – so try sneaking it in! Physical therapy often prescribes small changes to a person’s routine, in order to make the adjustments manageable. Some simple ways to be more active during your daily tasks include:
- Opting for the stairs instead of the escalator or elevator.
- Exiting the bus one stop early and walk the rest of the way.
- Parking farther away from your destination and walking the extra distance.
- Maintaining your yard – raking leaves, shoveling snow, mowing the lawn, etc.
- Taking the dog on walks with the whole family.
- Walking up and down the field while your children are playing sports.
2. Maintain a healthy diet.
Maintaining a healthy diet doesn’t mean you aren’t allowed to spoil yourself with treats every now and then. Nutrition is all about balance – so just make sure you balance those treats with some healthier choices. This includes:
- Snacking smart. It is good to snack! – as long as it’s healthy. So instead of those pretzels, try grabbing some peanuts. Snacking keeps you at your best so that you can sustain your energy and stay positive.
- Avoiding “meal skips.” Many people think that dieting includes “eating less,” but skipping meals can be just as detrimental to your nutrition as over-eating. Eating consistently provides your mind and body with the fuel necessary to help you get and stay active. It also helps you avoid your blood sugar dropping, which can lead to nervousness, irritability, and a whole host of other problems.
- Implementing Uncle Sam’s recipe for health. “What is this?” you may ask – it is essentially the following: lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and fat-free or low-fat dairy products; some lean meats or meat substitutes, including beans, eggs and nuts; and minimal saturated fats, trans fats, cholesterol, salt, and added sugars.
3. Positivity goes a long way.
If you go in with a positive mindset, exercise and eating right will become significantly easier. Research shows that a positive attitude can boost your immune system and increase your energy levels. Even if you aren’t really excited about getting up to go for a run, your body will believe what you think. Essentially, “fake it ‘til you make it” – because that mantra really works!
4. Don’t be afraid to ask for help.
Did you know that over half of the United States suffers from some sort of limiting pain? Chronic pain can significantly hinder your quality of life, but physical therapy can fortunately help correct it. It is a natural, non-invasive, safe, and effective way to manage and treat pain. In many cases, it can even eliminate the need for harmful pain-management drugs or surgical correction. The best part of all is that physical therapy provides long-term relief, while other methods may only work in the short-term.
Physical therapy can help with all types of chronic musculoskeletal and neuropathic pain, from ongoing headaches to fibromyalgia. A physical therapist can manipulate your bones and joints to reduce discomfort. Your physical therapist will work with you to form an exercise and movement plan that lessens your pain and increases your mobility.
Contact us today!
No matter what age you are, our physical therapy treatment programs can help you get up and moving. If you’re looking to improve your health, strength, and physical activity, don’t hesitate to contact Mechano Therapy Clinic today! We’ll get you started on a plan that will help your life your life to the fullest.